Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Notes about a couple books I am reading


As I have mentioned, when I take an interest in something I dive in and study it like mad.  I already have several books, thanks to my dad, on drawing and painting.  The first book is the "Color Mixing Bible" by Ian Sidaway.  I really, really like this book.  While most of it has color recipes for every concievable medium such as oils, acrylics, watercolors and soft pastels, it has a lot of color theory.  The first part of the book covers color theory, color mixing and so on.  It is a very quick, easy read and most of all informative.

Next up I have a book on drawing titled "Drawing for the Absolute Beginner" by Mark and Mary Willenbrink.  I am only part way into the book but so far I like it.  It is done in a similar manner to the Color Mixing Bible as it has short, to the point text and lots of examples.  Drawing scares me though.  I did not think about having to draw to be a good painter.  I see now that drawing will be very important to painting.  Even if you paint from scratch without an under drawing, the principles of drawing still apply.  So I have much to learn and much practicing to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment