Monday, January 30, 2012

The color matrix part 3, creating shades

I am halfway finished with creating shades of the colors.  I have the primary and secondary colors done.  I relearned that colors darken quickly.  It takes very little of the complementary color to darken a color.  I wasn't sure I would like the shades as well as I liked the tints but I do.  The red tinted down to a nice, deep red.  The blue turned a nice blue grey.  The yellow and green was beautiful as well.  Most of the colors start heading toward a shade of brown but the blue I think will darken toward black.

I have one more session to go to finish the tertiary colors and I will be done with the tints and shades of the warm color palette.  I really need to do this same exercise for the cool color palette but I think it is time I get back to real painting.  I will come back to the cool palette eventually.

Primary and secondary color shades

No comments:

Post a Comment