Sunday, January 1, 2012

Day one of my journey to becoming an oil painter

It is the start of another year.  New Years is a time to reflect on the past and look to the future.  I don't focus too much on the past as there isn't much I can do about it.  I don't look forward nearly as much as I should either.  But one thing I am looking forward to is my first oil painting class.  I am smack in the middle of mid-life, at least I hope I have as much life left in front of me as I have had behind me, and it is time to get artsy.

This won't be my first attempt to be artsy as I spent about 20 years doing photography as a hobby.  I greatly enjoyed it but almost 2 years ago I sold all of my equipment except for a decent point-and-shoot digital camera.  I wasn't using it as much as I needed to and I was never fully satisfied with my results.  Part of it was the equipment but if I am being honest with myself, and who likes to do that, most of it was me.  Oh sure, I studied, read, worked examples, etc, but I don't know that I really have the eye.  I could get well exposed shots, used the rule of thirds and so on, but came away with far too few really good shots.  I occasionally got lucky and got a wall hanger, but it wasn't often enough.  I also didn't get out at the right times in the right light.  Since photography was only a hobby, I had to work around my job and all the other things in life that get in the way of what you really want to do.  My wife was very patient with my hobby but I couldn't ask her to get up before daylight on vacation to catch the magic hour of light.  Plus you don't always get the weather and lighting when you are out.  It is because of this that I have always envied painters.  If the scene isn't to their liking, they can make it whatever they want.  They can turn grey skies into blue, remove power lines and add elements when needed.

So with that in mind, my wife got tired of me talking about learning to paint and gave me an oil painting class for Christmas.  Of course now I have spent more on the supplies than I spent on the cost of the class.  But I am anxious to put some paint on a canvas.  So I am approaching oil painting like I did photography and most other things, I am diving in head first.  I have been reading blogs, watching YouTube videos and reading how-to articles and a couple books.  I am a little OCD when it comes to learning new things.  I will research the subject to death until I have squeezed every last drop of knowlege out of it.  As  nice as it is to learn this way it can also be a drawback because I learn what is out there, what is possible and if I can't obtain those same results I may get discouraged.  From my initial studying I see I have a lot to learn.  I am not going to paint a masterpiece anytime soon if ever.  But I think I am fine with that.  I am just hoping I can put some art on the wall that I am proud of.

I hope that my background in photography will help me examine lighting, perspective and the many other facets of painting that overlap with photography.  As mentioned above, I hope to be able to paint a scene as I want to see it and not as it actually is.  This is the problem with photography I hope to solve with painting.

This blog will document my journey from photography to oil painting.  Feel free to comment on my posts as I will accept any tips, tricks, techniques and critiques you have to offer.

4 comments:

  1. Good for you for starting the journey Greg. Remember the journey is what it's all about. I don't think we ever arrive, there are endless challenges. I began painting at the age of thirty-eight, I'm forty-six now, and I remember how overwhelming it seems in the beginning. My advice is to pace yourself, be patient and paint a lot. Books, workshops and classes are fine but I think the most valuable learning comes from painting itself. Daily, or almost daily painting is the fastest way to improve.

    I like to keep it simple, maybe this will help. I've discovered that a successful painting is the result of a series of successful steps.

    1. CHOOSE SUBJECT - Make sure you're attempting to paint something that is paintable. SQUINT at it to simplify the shapes. If there are simple, easily identifiable shapes move to the next step.

    2. COMPOSE - Use a viewfinder or computer crop tool if you're using a digital image. SQUINT and arrange the shapes in a balanced way that you find pleasing.

    3. DRAW - SQUINT and map out the shapes on your canvas. Use vine charcoal at first, which can easily be wiped off with a soft rag. Step back from your canvas often to check that you're drawing your shapes accurately. This is one of the most important steps so make sure you're happy with what you see before you move on!

    4. BLOCK IN - Paint in the shapes from dark to light with your best estimations of the colors. Use thin paint and cover the canvas. Think of creating a mosaic with paint.

    5. REFINE- reinforce or adjust color and values with simple strong strokes of thicker paint. Squint to check values! Don't over do it with detail, simple is best!

    Photography is good for capturing texture, subtlety and detail. Forget all that for now and think strong shapes!! Hope this helps, good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michael, thanks for stopping by and especially for the advice. I will read and re-read this to soak it in. I think your tips might get me over a hump. If you have time to answer one question I would appreciate it.

    On tip number 4 about blocking in the shapes from dark to light, is this how the whole painting is done? Do you put dabs of color and value to make up the whole? For example, if you look at the barn painting I posted, I painted in two shades, one for the shady side and one for the sunlit side. I assume I should instead be using patches of colors and values rather than painting in the whole side and then somehow coming back to get the dimension and texture?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You did the right thing on the barn. The idea is to squint at your subject, eliminate detail and focus on the big shapes of color. I plan on doing a YouTube demo soon, I'll let you know!

      Delete
    2. Thanks, I will be watching for it.

      Delete